Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Gulf View Square Mall


Port Richey, Florida - circa early '80s

Well I hope everyone had a nice and SAFE Memorial weekend! I return to the blog a little later than I planned, due to some severe weather we had blow through Metro Detroit yesterday (Tuesday), that went and knocked out our power for a good portion of the day. And of course, it had to be almost 90 degrees out, too, with super high humidity! Ugh. It was a loooong day, let me tell you. But the AC is cranking again now, and I have my computer and internet connection finally back, so I'm good to go!

Kicking things off here with a cool aerial view of a mall I haven't featured before. And it's a bit more of a modern-era one for a change, having first opened only in 1980. And dig this mall's location, too! Looks quite exotic and spectacular to my landlocked eyes.

Mall history: 1980 - present
Current aerial view
Current website: here



11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mall looks like it's sitting on a swamp! I hope it doesn't erode away! That's a nice aerial view. I wonder what it looks like inside...

Wed May 31, 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Wow, was this before environmental impact reports?

Wed May 31, 04:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see where the "Gulf" part comes from!

Wed May 31, 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Yeah, this location is pretty wild looking, isn't it?! And apparently, if you look at the current aerial link I included, you'll see it's still sitting there, living on the edge. This mall isn't ON the Gulf, it's IN it! :)

I'll look for some vintage interior shots of it.

Thu Jun 01, 08:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visited Gulf View Square a couple of times in the 90s while on vacation in FL. They went until 1998 before renovating it. Haven't been since the renovations, but I know a food court was added, at least 1 of the 2 fountains were taken out and the flooring/lighting made the mall more airy.

Thu Jun 01, 11:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't see the water from anywhere at the mall. Used to be quite seedy in the late 90s. Renovations in the past couple years have cleaned up the image and area tremendously. Plus, there is a Carousel in the middle!

Fri Jun 02, 10:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith,

Have you been to Mall of America? There must be plenty o' postcards of that!

Sun Jun 04, 04:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was amazed to see this image. I live in the area and was curious about what was west of the mall's parking lots. I had no idea the site went that close to the Gulf of Mexico.

There are many shots of the area on flickr.com. The tags "gulfviewsquare" and "thepiers" show the area in modern times. It's sad to know the green area north of the drainage ditch is now a half dead strip mall called The Piers.

Mon Jun 26, 12:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a great website. It is very nice. I love the pictures, they are so pretty.

Mon Jun 26, 06:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to that mall all the time. It`s very nice. I never noticed the gulf right behind it though. :]

Mon Jul 03, 07:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that mall................i live in port richey florida and go there almost every weekend

Sat Nov 01, 10:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.