Sunday, June 11, 2006

Vintage Mays Discount Store TV commercials


New York - 1979

"Every day is a sale day at Mays!" Can't get this little jingle out of my head lately! :) Kind of catchy. Here's two more fun old TV commercials (clip contains both) for now-defunct New York area Mays discount stores. These were actually recorded off-air from Betamax in 1979(!), according to the YouTube uploader. May not be a "mall", but man do these old retail commercials still take me back to that whole trip again just the same!

And dig on the classic Mattel handheld electronic football game in the first spot! YES!!! I actually got one of those babies my own self that year for Christmas (and then got a brand new one from Target for my birthday a couple years ago). I wistfully remember laying on my groovy waterbed playing it in the dark into the wee hours of the morning several nights in a row that Christmas. Definitely a member of the Numb Thumb Club here! Hehe.

Note: Video is Flash format. If you don't see it, you must temporarily disable your ad-blocking programs.



6 Comments:

Blogger SB said...

Also a member of the club. We (me and my brothers) also had the Colleco version that you could pass.

These commercial make think back to the Zayre Christmas commercials where they were open 24 hours until Christmas.

These commercials really make you think back to a great time unfortunately long ago.

Sun Jun 11, 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

I had that football game! Once you figured out how to beat it, it got boring! Now they sell it at Target for a few bucks.
Scott

Sun Jun 11, 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Sobieniak said...

BIGMallrat said...
I had that football game! Once you figured out how to beat it, it got boring! Now they sell it at Target for a few bucks.
Scott

Still, they were fun for their time. It's funny how far we've came in terms of what's possible in handheld gaming. Used to think of how advanced watching tiny LED dots were for their time!

Stores like this remind me of the days when going to departemnt stores used to be fun when they still had electronics and toy departments. I blame today's society for what has happened to stores like these or the declining shopping malls we do have in favor of big box outlets and online shopping. It's getting to a point I can hardly leave the house anymore. :-(

Mon Jun 12, 05:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember those football handheld games. My older cousin had one when I was growing up in Cleveland. Haven't seen that image in a really long time. My cousin had his forever even when the thing started to fall apart.

Tue Jun 13, 01:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rats, the video is down. Does anyone have a copy of it? super_stonic AT yahoo.com

Tue Sep 26, 12:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Bruce Hershey said...

I must admit that I've been spending the whole day looking for old commercials. I just love the feeling of nostalgia that these commercials bring. When I was growing up at Calgary, I mostly remember commercials for home appliances and mall sales.

Fri Feb 18, 01:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.