Monday, April 16, 2007

Retro Mall Video: Randall Park Mall Corvette Auto Show


North Randall, Ohio - Sep. 16, 1984

Portions from an episode of The NightLife Show, an early '80s Florida cable access TV show (ran 1980-1986). This clip I recently came across on YouTube (which aired January 25, 1985), features a cool segment that was taped inside the now-defunct Randall Park Mall, at a 1984 Corvette Auto Show. The focus of the video is mainly the cars, yes, but, luckily for our purposes, the shopping mall does manage to sneak into the shot a little here and there.

Mall history: 1976 - early '00s (dead)
Current website: n/a
Developer: Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr.
Current aerial view
Info from Wikipedia
Reference links: 1, 2
Previous entries: none

Labels: , , , ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

I probably would have preferred seeing more of that mall, but those cars were really nice as well. I've always liked Corvettes, probably because you hardly ever see any in Germany.

By the way, was this show made for some public access/citizens' TV project? I worked for citizens' TV in the 1990s, and stylistically this is very much like the sort of thing we used to do.

Mon Apr 16, 05:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the show was on cable access so I always thought cable access was where any joe schmo could put anything low budget together and call it a program. In that regards this was a public access show.

Randall Park Mall. My parents took me here as child living in Ohio but I hardly remembered it but seeing just a little piece helped me immensely.

Mon Apr 16, 07:26:00 PM  
Blogger Funky-Rat said...

I was just at Randall Park Mall on Saturday. It was once my favorite place to hang out when I lived in Ohio. I wanted to see it again before it died completely.

It has fantastic archietecture, and it's a real crime that it's being allowed to run down.

Completely broke my heart.

Tue Apr 17, 01:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice video... I was there that weekend (or another Corvette weekend about the same time). They used to have a lot of great events on the concourse at Randall Park Mall. I'm wondering if anyone has any video or still pics of the mall proper (stores, fountains, common areas, etc) from between 1985 - 1995 (ish) for a project I'm working on? Anyone?

Wed Apr 25, 07:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.